We discuss Facebook buying Oculus, the maker of the virtual reality headset Rift.
The original Oculus Rift was crowdfunded on Kickstarter, and intended as a way to make playing video games more immersive. Now, we enter into a virtual world where your friends can poke you whenever they feel like it. We think.
Should those original backers get some money from this $2 billion sale to Facebook? Should a company that is eventually going to seek VC money and to be bought out by a large company ever engage on crowdfunding?
We also discuss criticisms that 538 and Vox.com are too white and male.
Listen to this week’s episode:
- Original Oculus Rift Kickstarter project
- Facebook buys Oculus Rift for $2 billion
- If you back a Kickstarter project that sells for $2 billion, do you deserve to get rich?
- FiveThirtyEight launches, promises to break news ‘rarely’
- Journalism startups aren’t a revolution if they’re filled with all these white men
- Review and comment on the launch of Nate Silver’s FiveThirtyEight.com for ESPN